Thursday 10 April 2014

Mast Stepping

When I got to the yard on Thursday morning Robinetta had been moved close to the dock, but the tide was ebbing and the mast was still lying beside her waiting to be stepped, so it was obvious that she would not be launched today.

I helped guide the foot of the mast into the mast step, then began to run the rigging. A problem emerged, as despite all Julian's care the aerial and mast head light cables had been taped to a short (rear) rather than a fore (long) shroud. This meant that all the shrouds needed shifting anti clockwise, and the cables retaping. I talked to the yard, and they agreed to correct it before launch on Friday.

The rest of the rigging went well, and I got the boom onto the gooseneck without any problems. We had used a set of temporary crutches at the stern all last season as I kept forgetting to varnish the proper ones. I remembered over the winter so they are now back on the boat looking very shiny; unfortunately they are slightly shorter than the others, and I kept banging my head coming out of the cabin.

No comments: