Sunday, 10 November 2013

Paul starts work

We ended up not going to the boat on Monday 28th  as it was a bit too windy (gusting 60 m/h). We went on the Tuesday instead and met Paul to discuss what we wanted done. He did not give us a start date, but when we took advantage of a sunny day to go to Robinetta today he had already got a good start.

We had decided that the stern post should be pulled in at the stern, to stop the movement that is probably causing the leak at its base. That means removing the rudder (which is in the way), and screwing a very long screw through the stern post and into the keel to pull the two together. We were planning to take the rudder off today, but when we got there it was already off, with the area to drilled marked up.

Paul has also cleaned out the stopping and caulking that had failed, to let the seam dry out before he recaulks, and taken off the leaking tingle to check beneath.

We also wanted him to replace the teak strips that hide the join between the cabin roof and sides. They have been rubbed quite thin in places, and were no longer tight to the joint. He has removed the old ones, probably to use as patterns.

Inside the forepeak we wanted him to check the iron floor just beneath the bits. Its bolts were not replaced when the others were due to access issues, so we thought it should be done. That's gone too. Ever since I first looked hard at where the lowest plank in the bow met the floor it had been crooked. I had always assumed it was the plank, but now that the floor is gone so is the crooked joint. So it must have been the floor.....

He has not drawn the stem bolts yet but he's certainly made a very good start!

Julian had been planning to take the rudder off, but instead he got on with clearing loose paint off the bulwarks. He's never done that before, but soon got the hang of it. He also planed off the top of the port bulwark to make it a better fit for the cap rail, and screwed it in tighter on the joint with the older portion of the bulwark.

I washed the inside of the "wardrobe" locker, then cleared off the loose paint. The hull inside the locker has never been painted by me, and its down to bare wood in places. Once its dried off properly I will paint it!

We managed to get in to the Company Shed for lunch (by turning up at 12). One more couple made it, then the next were put on the waiting list and told to go away for an hour. We only had one dish each (delicious crab cakes), then headed back to the boat. It's nice to be able to eat there once in a while, and you don't have to go mad and pig out!

We brought the tiller and rudder home to work on, and the seat cushions too. That's the last of the things I expect to have in the house over the winter. The cabin's looking very bare.

Most of the things I want to do for Robinetta now are best done at home, or after Paul has finished. She's looking a little sad and shabby tucked away in a corner of the yard, but by next spring she'll be all spruced up again.