Wednesday 23 April 2014

Oily bilges and varnish layers

I've been to visit Robinetta in her temporary base at Tollesbury today and yesterday in order to get on with the varnishing. I sanded the Epifanes off the grab rails where it was flaking, and re-coated them with the same stuff. It's been on there with only the most basic care since the spring of 2008, so I feel confident it lasts. I've also used it on the foredeck cap rails. Two coats isn't really enough, so I'll try to get more on if the weather allows.

I've put two coats of International Original Varnish on the rubbing strip on top of the cabin sides, and on the main hatch. It's the stuff that Paul Drake asked me to  get for the mast, and he did the previous coats on those areas. It also ended up being used as a varnish coat on top of the Varnol on the cockpit sides after I brushed out some drips and just kept going. Julian put a new layer of Varnol on them before we left West Mersea, so they were in good condition, but we will run out of Varnol soon. Paul came by while I was doing this, and doesn't think it will cause problems!

The cockpit got a second coat of Woodskin (one more and it will be done), and then I mopped the diesel oil out of the bilges. Not a fun job, and I still need to clean them properly, but at least Robinetta won't be polluting the marina so much when she pumps out!

The new oil pipe was fitted yesterday, and Barry gave me the old one to have a look at. He is going to refill the oil and test run the engine tomorrow. Fingers crossed it did not get damaged!




No comments: