Saturday 5 April 2014

Varnish and Woodskin


First day alone to Robinetta for a while, and a lot less gets done! I washed down the boom and had a good look at it. It's been sitting under the boat all winter (it would normally be on top) and got a bit damaged, so I sanded down the damaged varnish and gave the whole thing a thin coat of varnish. I'll try to give it another coat tomorrow.

The mast varnishing is finished, because Paul came every day last week and put on a coat. It's now had 6 coats, and that will have to do it, because the mast needs to be dressed tomorrow. The varnish is still very soft (certainly compared to the year old varnish on the boom!) so I did not put on another coat today. I think it's more important to let it harden off a bit.

I gave the bulwarks a coat of toplac, and finally decided what finish to use on the cockpit bare wood. I've gone with Woodskin. It's touch dry in four hours, but can't be overcoated for three days, which means I don't need to rush to get another coat on tomorrow!

No comments: