Thursday 16 February 2012

The next stage

I went to Robinetta on Tuesday, to pump out the bilges and burn off the last of the paint. It was pretty cold, with some snow still unmelted on the cover, and a big lump of ice where water gathers on the foredeck cover.

It warmed up a little through the day, and after I'd burnt off the paint I had a go with the sander. It worked much better than I remembered from when I tried using it the first winter we owned Robinetta.

I went back today to do more sanding, and got on surprisingly fast. I've taken off more than half the blue remnants left behind by the heat gun, and smoothed down all the anti-foul on the starboard side. It's a filthy job though and wearing a breathing mask and protective goggles is absolutely essential.


I had a look at the bolt that the bob-stay attaches to at the bow and decided we have to do something about the obvious wear. Paul suggested welding in a ring to re-enforce it, so I'll have a word with the yard and see that they think.

No comments: