Friday 24 February 2012

Caulking starts

Paul was there all day, caulking above the water line on the starboard side. It was amazing watching the caulking cotton disappear between the planks. I know it's there, because I saw him stretching it along the planking line, but once in place it's almost invisible.

I used the heat gun on the Sadolin today, then took the last of it off with the mouse sander. The white paint on the bulwarks beneath the Sadolin was only painted last year, and I was going to leave it alone, but some of it blistered a bit with the heat gun, so I took that off, then found that whole strips of it, untouched by the heat gun, flaked off. I'm going to have to do some remedial work on that too...

I put varnol on the port side cabin side, just forward of the chain plate, to see what it looked like. If the colour and finish are good I'll do the rest, otherwise I'll strip it off and use varnish.

Julie and Keith turned up to have a chat with Paul about work on Maryll, and admired Robinetta's unpainted look.

No comments: