Tuesday 15 July 2014

Colonsay

We came towards Colonsay from the north to avoid the great race. This let us motor sail along the south coast past lovely beaches and little bays.

As we closed on the harbour we discussed options. Did we want to anchor or go against the pier? I turned the echo sounder on and the armature stuck obstinately at 5 o'clock. I tapped it. I took it down from the wall and shook it. No joy. We were coming in in daylight near low water and the waters are crystal clear so we could manage.

As we got nearer we could see that there were two ladders and that portion of the pier was fully boarded. Not bad. Alison helmed in and got worried. She could see a mark separating us from the rocks and was worried about depth. Tired and nervous are not the best states to make decisions so I took over. Being a team is great,  usually one of us is fresh enough for the tricky bits.

I turned her on a penny and closed with the pier and stopped. We hung on to the ladder while Alison scrambled up with bow and stern lines. I tied a bight of a jib sheet to the ladder and spotted there was a long rope tied near the top and bottom. Ideal for a running midship line.

Tied up I went to look and turned the lines into bowlines at the top we could adjust from aboard.

Settled, we went for a walk. Great toilets. A sign saying the brewery shop would be open tomorrow. A poster saying there was a gig on at the community hall tomorrow.

I think I'm going to like it here.

No comments: