Sunday 14 April 2013

Sun at last! and wind


Julian and Alex both came to Robinetta with me today. Forecast was for sun, and 16C, and we got it, so I can't really complain about the strong wind....

I had hoped to get the main sail on, but that would have been stupid in the wind, especially since we still don't have the gaff saddle back from Moray. I must ring him in the morning.....

Alex finished sanding off the loose varnish on the foredeck cap rails, got four coats of varnol on the cap rails in the cockpit, a top up coat on the varnol on the cabin sides, and a coat of varnish on the foredeck cap rails. Oh, and put top coat on the bulwark repairs and touched up the paint on the hull. What a good worker!

Julian fitted the bowsprit and bobstay and the jib traveller, tensioned the fore-stay and replaced the peak and staysail halyards. Unfortunately the mousing line came off just before the new peak halyard went through the last block at the top of the mast. (The yard has promised to run it for us tomorrow before they put Robinetta in). He also fixed the positioning of the blocks on the horse across the front of the cabin, which I had got wrong yesterday. He checked the thru-hulls, so hopefully they won't leak, and reconnected the gas to the cooker.

I did a little more to the galley, but spent most of my time washing down the paint in the lockers and the cabin. It was a good day for drying it out, and at least now I can see what needs repainting (next winter I'll need to do inside the hull and the ceiling.....). After that I got the seat cushions and backs in place, and stowed what I could of the stores. It's coming together, but the galley is not really useable yet. I have half a day more with shore power, hope it's enough!

No comments: