Sunday 25 August 2013

Waiting for a fair wind

I got up in time to get the 7:45 train to London, but dawdled and missed it. I caught the 8:45, changing at Ashord International for the Brighton train. It was really easy and efficient. I still wanted to move Robinetta to Ramsgate but talking on the phone with Alison convinced me that the wind over tide option was not a good one. Alison spoke with Dover Marina and they offered us a week in the Wellington dock at an affordable rate but I would have to come back and move her at about 1pm. I had a fine cooked breakfast at the Strand Quay Cafe and a lovely walk around the town, taking in the Church, the Ypres Tower and the local artists exhibition before driving back to Dover along country lanes and through Hythe, Sandgate and part of Folkstone. I knew I would get enough motorway driving on the way home.
Back at Dover I got the boat ready for a single-handed departure from the tidal basin and arrival in the Wellington. The Marina manager had allocated me a berth with a windward approach - its great when people think of these things. It all went really smoothly and a nice chap in the Wellington came and took my lines and we had a chat about Robinetta.
For the first time in ages I was now without a deadline. I could take my time sorting the lines out, putting sail covers and crutches on and emptying Worm of the gallons of rainwater from the previous day. As Robinetta was head to wind on the berth I could also raise the main, let it dry out, take the reefs out and flake it nicely on the boom.

Drying out the spinnaker took the longest. The sun and wind were great but its big and maneouvering it around to get all the bits dry took ages. And every now and then, the wind would take an edge and it would go in the water and get wet again. Grr...

No comments: