Thursday 30 May 2013

Out of the water

Robinetta came out of the water on Wednesday for her engine service, and will be back in tomorrow (Friday) so we can sail at the weekend. I got a call from the engineer saying he had tracked down the water leak to the raw water pump, and that a new one would be a good idea, so I ordered it from French Marine, and on a one day delivery was there this morning as promised. Hopefully, between that and the full service the engine will now work without kicking out steam when run at full power.

Since she was put on in such a rush in April it seemed sensible to take advantage of her being out of the water to do some extra painting, so I took Alex along today. The damage done by the ladder on the rubbing strake over the winter has now been sanded back and primed, the new bulwark wood has its second coat of toplac, and the main hatch has been sanded back to bare wood. (electric sanders are wonderful things!) I have also caulked and filled the gaps in the hatch in the hope that that will stop it leaking.

I disconnected the toilet and took it apart as we had noticed some leaks around it last time we were out. I now know a lot more about Lavac toilets, and have hopefully fixed the leak. There was a slight split in the outflow pipe, just under the jubilee clip, so I replaced the pipe as well as cleaning everything thoroughly and tightening all the bolts.  I left the bowl with some water in; hopefully it will still be there when I go back tomorrow!
  

No comments: