Monday 22 July 2013

Paradise, almost

I try to keep work and sailing separate, and this is the boat's log, not my blog, but I thought for once I would put in something a little more personal. The weather is perfect, the river is beautiful and today's cruise was idyllic. So why am I depressed and unsociable?

I was forwarded an email today from a friend who works in the department I applied for a job in. The manager announced on Friday that the other candidate would be joining in August. Apart from being about the 26th internal job I've failed to get, this is the second one recently where the hiring manager has not had the courtesy to tell me I was not successful before announcing the outcome in public.

I'm also not happy with the boat. The new sails are setting well and I seem to have reduced the problem with the gaff saddle to a managable level. I think we are sailing her competently. We are still the slowest boat by a large margin. The new larger sails do help. Instead of losing sight of the fleet, we drop slowly behind until we are at the back.

Part of the problem with the boat is the perfect weather. Stronger winds would help. They would also make me work harder and contemplate less.

No comments: