Tuesday 12 March 2013

Work Tops and cut outs

I've used marine ply left over from when Julian made Worm for the work surface, laminating two sheets together for strength. I'm not sure it needs to be that strong, but it seems like a good idea since I've had to make a decent size cut out for the sink, which will be heavy once it gets water in it.



I've also cut another hole to let us access the awkward area beside the cooker; this will have a lid with a finger hole so we can get it out easily. It should make it possible to open and close the sink thru-hull, and let us use the space to store pans. They won't fit under the sink any more, since the new one is much deeper. The surface will be edged with an oak beading, which should look quite smart, and I'll give the whole thing a couple of coats of thin epoxy once its sanded down which should seal the edges and stop the damp getting in. I'm still not sure how to finish the surface, but I expect I'll put some "formica" on it if I can find a supplier.

Apart from that it is going to be pretty much as it was. The crockery storage unit has just had a good wash and will be put back as it was. It might not be very smart any more, but it's still functional, and I don't have time to make a new one.

No comments: