Saturday 30 March 2013

Another day, another snowfall

Learnt at new word today, graupel, which is the type of snow that fell on Mersea today. I say snow, but it's nearly hail....

Alex did not come with us, as the forecast was never going to get to the 5C necessary for painting, but Julian and I headed hopefully to Mersea. Julian finished cutting the new bulwarks to size, but we have not fitted them. Instead we brought them home to prime in the warm, where the paint will dry fast enough to get a couple of coats on in a day.

I painted the area of the galley which will be beneath the new work surface with locker paint, and hoped to put a layer of undercoat on the hull above it, but the masking tape took off some of the primer, so I had to redo that instead. The good news is that the WD40 worked, and Julian could get the thru hull out. We'll take it home again and clean it up some more, and I'll bring Brasso to the boat and try "polishing" the inside of its housing to help it turn.

There was one dry sunny patch, which tempted me out to paint a rim of tie coat round the whole boat on the line of masking tape Alex set yesterday. It meant I could take the masking tape off, and if the weather stays abysmal we can just slap a layer of anti foul on at the last minute.

I did make some real progress. The heads are now fully installed again, we have a hook to hang the cleaning brush on, and the old kitchen tap is now in place above the vanity unit sink. Apart from a good wash down that's it for the forepeak. (Once the forehatch is back in place that is!)

No comments: