Sunday 29 September 2013

Spilt Diesel

The smell of Diesel in the cabin had not gone away in the weeks since we last used the engine and it became obvious why when I lifted the floorboards to see the bilges. There was a nasty film of diesel on top of the bilge water, and moping out the bilges was unpleasant. I did not know what to do with the contaminated water in the bucket (just tipping it out is not an option!) but the yard advised me to use container with a tap at the bottom to separate it out, then take the diesel bit to a proper disposal facility. I sacrificed our water carrier, and it worked well. The water settled out below the diesel within ten minutes, and could then be run off and tipped away normally. I'll wait to get rid of the diesel container until the leak has been traced and repaired and I know I won't need to do it again.

Meanwhile Julian had been taking off the boom and tying all the shrouds and halyards to the mast to make it easier to get it out.

No comments: