Sunday 29 September 2013

Taking stuff home

All the sails, the bowsprit and the gaff are now safely at home. Looking around the hull, there are a few obvious places where the water is trickling out of the bilges. As expected it is all around the garboard strakes. Especially at the front where there was a huge gap between the keel and the garboard which Paul filled with bitumen. I think that needs a spline. On the starboard stern there is a lot of wood missing from the garboard and screws are showing. A tingle is also dripping. There is no real evidence of any problem caused by the incident at Rye. I took off the port cap rail above the bulwark in the cockpit. It is rotten at the back but the half ribs seem ok. One is stretched but I don't think anything needs to be done. I will see if the cap rail can be repaired. Apart from the last 6" it's fine. Maybe I can scarf a new end on. 

No comments: