Sunday 1 September 2024

Sound of Sleat to Kyle of Lochalsh

 After bailing Worm we carried on into the Sound of Sleat under motor. I looked up the Antares anchorages - there are more than I would have guessed and the Armadale ferry port had quite a lot of yachts on moorings.

Then I looked out for Sabhal Mòr Ostag, the gaelic college I went to summer school in in July. It overlooks the entrance to Loch Hourn.


This reminded me that I should have been getting registration emails for term 2. I looked and I'd missed them in mid-August! I spent the next hour (probably 1/2 hour!) sorting that and emailing the registation forms and requesting a link to pay and downloading the course materials. My first tutorial is on Monday!

We got some wind then and sailed a bit but it didn't last. Nearing Kylerhea we got dolphins. Probably the same pod we saw in Loch Hourn two years ago but they had a baby with them.


 

Even at neaps the tide took us up to 8 knots at times through Kylerhea. We were surprised to find this true well north of the narrows too.

We texted the Kyle of Lochalsh harbour master at the Kyles and he responded and said we should find be able to find a space on the visitor pontoon. Kyle of Lochalsh lost most of its eating places during Covid and hasn't recovered. My phone told me only the chinese takeaway and the pizza takeaway were operating and I fancied pizza.

We got there in time to order but he had a big backlog. He reluctantly agreed to add us to the end. This turned out to be good for him as he subsequently had a cancellation. A good pizza. New York style, so lots of cheese but very tasty.


No comments: