Wednesday 10 May 2017

Happy Birthday Robinetta!

Robinetta was launched on the 10th May 1937 and on the 11th Rayner made a first abortive trip up the Mersey single handed. He was a little late leaving and ran out of water and turned back.

On May 14th 1937 she left the Mersey for the Clyde, arriving at William Fyne's Fairlie yard on the 18th.

Robinetta left Fairlie again last year and went round Ireland.

Last Saturday we got her back to the Mersey.

Back in 2012 Eddie Farren reached out to me. He said: "I discovered your Robinetta blog earlier this year whilst undertaking research into my family history. Since childhood (some 50 years ago) I have known that my grandfather was a partner in a boat building yard in Rock Ferry, Birkenhead. This years research has filled in many of the blanks in my knowledge. Your blog has been a great encouragement to me to see his craftsmanship is still fulfilling the role for which ie was intended some 75 years later."

 Last year Eddie sent me more details on the Enterprise Small Craft Company.







On Saturday before turning to cross the Mersey to the lock gates we got within 1,000 yards of the site of the boat yard.

 We were even closer on the bus on Friday evening. On the Rock Ferry bypass we got within 100 yards and actually saw the KFC which is now on the site. 


She is now in the Brunswick Dock 1.5 miles away from where she was built.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is with great delight that I read this piece about my Grandpa who, sadly, I never knew. And, Thanks to Eddie, I and many of his descendants, my sister, cousins and their children will know a little more about Peter John Anderson. Thank you.