Thursday 14 July 2016

Jury rigged tech

Our Garmin chart plotter has died. Would not turn on when we got back to Robinetta on Sunday. This wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't made it the only way we can display depth.

We've been using the Navionics app on my tablet for charts and navigating old school on the paper charts but depth would be nice.

I built a box to distribute NMEA on wifi but haven't quite finished the software.

Today I hooked Alison's netbook up to the depth box using a USB to serial lead and got depth out using miniterm.py. With a large font on the terminal it was ok. 

After lunch I hacked the python code to extract just the depth from the NMEA sentence which was better. 

Now we have wifi I've installed kplex on the netbook and configured it to broadcast on udp port 2000. Now we have depth on the Navionics app!

I must finish the dedicated box. 

No comments: