Saturday 8 September 2012

Up the mast

Today was the day to head up the mast, with very light winds forecast, and low water around 1115. Julian and I got to Robinetta at 1200, and found that she was afloat, so there went my idea of going up while she was aground!

The wind was as light as promised though, with no waves, so heading up the mast still made sense. We ate lunch, then Julian hauled me up to see the damage.

The strop that goes round the mast to hold the upper peak halyard block had totally lost its centre serving, so the block was free to move too much. I pulled the centre of the strop together with gaffer tape while Julian created some serving wire from electrical wire we had on board, then I used it to hold the gaffer tape in place. Then there was more gaffer tape, another set of copper wire, more gaffer tape, and then a layer of serving. Hopefully that will hold it together!

The mast had suffered damage from the gaff saddle not sitting properly, so I sanded down the rough wood, and put on a layer of varnish to protect it. It won't last long, just being one coat, but it's better than nothing.

Every now and then I had to stop and wave at people coming towards Robinetta in powered boats. Everyone cut their wakes down to nothing when asked, which I was very glad of!

I was up the mast for nearly two hours, and the wind was beginning to get up by the time I came down. The weather was absolutely beautiful though, bright blue sky, and not too hot. I could not ask for better weather for the job!

1 comment:

Poppyfish_PD said...

Julian,
Gaffer tape ALWAYS works.
(Made the connection to your blog through a wierd e-mail from linked in. I am enjoying reading about your exploits and refreshing the connection!)
Nick Skinner