Thursday 12 April 2012

Sanding again

I filled the hull with International 100 after the last coat of primer dried, and the topsides and bulwarks needed a good sand down before any top coats were applied, but I had promised the boats next to me that I would not do any more major sanding until they were in the water. Today was the day I expected them to be gone, and when Alex and I got to Robinetta she was sitting in solitary state. 

Alex immediately got on with sanding down the topsides while I worked on the foredeck and cockpit. I also got Alex to sand the bulwarks, and after he was done I noticed a patch of loose paint on the port wide at the stern. I went to give it an extra sand down, and discovered soft damp wood beneath it. Damn! It's going to need replacing just like the same plank on the other side.

I left it alone once I'd uncovered all the wet wood, and will see how structurally damaged it is once it dries out. With luck it will be a job for next year, not a delay on going back in the water this time.

No comments: