Thursday 19 January 2012

More maintenance

Paul removed the last of the stopping on Tuesday, and will complete raking out of the last of the caulking sometime next week when the planks have dried out and made it easier.

This is my 8th day spent burning off paint, and I've still got a fair bit to do! It's been good weather for the most part, although cold. When it rains I sit underneath, on a folding chair, and burn off anti-fouling instead!

The cover can't keep all of the rain out of the boat, and when I checked the bilges this morning they needed pumping. Since the batteries are not in the boat that means the manual pump, which is not a problem since it works well. Unfortunately this time I noticed that the pump diaphragm was leaking, so every pump action squirted a little water straight back into the boat. Once again Robinetta is failing in the safest way; discovering the pump is not working properly when the boat is ashore is not exactly traumatic! I've brought it home to check over, not sure if we need a new one or if it can be repaired.

No comments: