Tuesday 23 October 2007

The uncertainty begins

Drove up to Shotley, hoping to start on the anti-fouling, but found the paint on the bows had been stripped back then left. Talked to the boat yard, and got the bad news; the bows have already been re-nailed, and the wood is not strong enough to just do the same again. If we want Robinetta to last we need to get the bow planks replaced. I was afraid of something like this, but prepared. I have arranged for a marine surveyor, Paul Stevens, to come and have a look at her. We need to know how much work needs doing before she is safe to go back on the water. A full report will cost £500, but I think it is worth it. Julian says it will be my birthday present!

I took all the removable painted wood home with me, together with the sails, and anything else loose in the cabin. I shall paint the locker covers at home to minimise the paint smell in the boat. It is also far easier to do them in the garage than on the boat!

No comments: